Friday, April 10, 2015

Eventually

Workshop - School Spring Break- Salt Spring Island - Home
Catch up in a few blog pages....
Arlee Barr and I taught our workshop at the Glenmore Canoe Club Clubhouse.  Lovely venue, though we were unfortunate with the lighting - dullest day in months and that was just Calgary not playing fair.

I enjoyed the teaching I did and got lovely feedback as participants challenged their machines to stitch in ways that many if not most of them had not done before.  I am hoping this has opened up new vistas for many in their mechanized stitchery.  We discussed our aims to drive the machine getting it to create stitched areas that mimic our mark making and our hand stitching... very demanding, but so so fulfilling.

Then we had the second half with Arlee teaching her unique style  of mark making with hand stitches.  I so much enjoyed being able to sit back, relax and do some hand work with no hidden agenda.  I finished this mandallion (= medallion + Mandala), when I was on holiday it was very meditative.

The ring with the green stitch outline, is not attached on the inner circle except by some variegated and fine black back stitch.  this I like very much as it gives potential for exploration for even more 3D effect Some other areas are not stitched down and give pockets that I like to think are akin to Goldsworthy black holes…. I want to inset black stiff fabric into these to hold the areas open….and I want to work with this idea in another piece… this is just a dream as I have so many ideas and so little time (did I say that before??? ) Thanks for the introduction to your style of witchery-stitchery Arlee, I hope to make it my own soon….and these ideas might help...


2 comments:

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Looking forward to the workshop you and Arlee will be giving in September in Regina!!

Karin Millson said...

Thanks, it will be a wonderful opportunity for me and I hope the group are dynamic and fun. We will work well together and cover a lot of ground! Nice to meet you Jenny Penny Poppy - in fact I am delighted!