Thursday, March 18, 2010

Acid Dye - merely the beginning (again)


The sentence on the instructions for use of Opulence Acid dyes did have me a little confused...
"Because the dye colours vary in volume but weigh the same, teaspoons are a general measurement."



I have used Acid dyes before but not for quite a while and since I am switching to a local supplier I am beginning again with test strips for dye colour on different fabrics.  It seems that Mathematics plays a role in dyeing: the amount of dye I used had to be calculated (without the use of any electronic gadget, I may add) using the formula:-
Amount of dye stock = Total dye stock x 1/4 x 1/16 x 1/3 which in the end approximated to less than one half of a ("general measurement")  teaspoon in the pan of hot water plus vinegar!!!


Oh well, the proof of the pudding lies in the eating... or in this case the test of a good shade lies in the making of it.


- as you can see - I have almost fully exhausted the dye bath with my tiny scrap of silk... 


The next test will be the same only using one full "general teaspoon" of dye stock and so on.

No comments: