Sunday, September 28, 2014

Baby steps in tailoring

I had a lovely hour or two in Fabricland today.
They have a big sale of 50% off Everything it seems.
The surprising thing was the atmosphere in the store, I was in the Southland store, not the Fisher Road one.  And the difference was amazing.  The shoppers weren't frantic, the cutters were calm helpful and chatty,  and the checkout ladies, efficient and friendly even having time to look briefly at the book I had.

Here is my work from the past week ++
One has to be able to acknowledge ones deficiencies.  So I set myself a challenge for this year, to learn to stitch more proficiently.  And to facilitate this I am learning how to stitch bags.  I wanted to use only fabrics from my stash.  Unfortunately, I have lots of bits and not 5/8 ++ yardages.  Hence the trip to the Big F. today.  Though smll bags I will continue to use my stash for small bags.

Another reason for stitching bags... maybe they can eventually be a canvas for free-style embroidery and mixed media... who knows.
This is simplest bag so far... the first in the book(but I agree with the reviewer who said it should have been intermediate - good job I am a go-for-it-gal), with pleats and interesting pockets inside, and I added a phone pocket yeh! 
A large ceramic button was used rather than the cloth-covered one Amy B.  suggests.  Fabrics are 1980s Laura Ashley (I think) and Nigerian damask.  

The book (see link above) has patterns arranged from simple (top image in this post) - to complex.
The next one is going to be black and red for Al.  - her choice, with heavily pleated main panels... Such fun.
 'Origami Bag' - top
Cheque book wallet : closed - bottom (from curtain fabrics).
  'Origami Bag' - top
Cheque book wallet : open, showing pockets and pen holder - bottom
 Reversible shopper - with large pockets inside and out and strengthened=folded handle
Happy stitching.

No comments: