Jazz Poetry Art in Fibre #8
- Course review... a kind of debriefing so that I improve the service I offer to both visiting artist and participants.
- I have been contacted by M. who wishes me to work with him on a very exciting project, obviously I am not telling you what it is all about just yet.
- Then there are necessary preparations for the upcoming (in less than 3 weeks) Contextural summer residency at ACAD which I am joining for the month of June.
- And appointments with L.H. to talk about a possible exhibition for SDA.
- Continued collaboration with Wendy on animating creatures.
- And I have a deadline for a project proposal to be done and dusted by next Wednesday... >ouch<
Oh and I forgot, I am trying to get a piece finished for the pop up show at Atlantis. The pressure is on.
I finished (though not framed) it today.
I made a couple of vows today - refusing to fight my sewing machine any longer I aim to use the best thread and suitable needles for the job, instead of trying to work with souk-bought Omani/Indian shiny and disobedient thread. Also I will clean out around the needle frequently... or Throw me in the Elbow. Now doesn't that sound funny.
I have been playing around with a few themes here.
Jazz Poetry, abstraction from letters, the written word as art - cf Arabic Calligraphy; with rhythm, line, shape dominating over hidden meaning. Taking lettering at face value, to the place where we keep the Rossetta Stone in our memories - I can't read that, can you?
The opening for this show is this Friday 17th at about 6 - 9pm at Atlantis. Pop by if you can.