Tuesday, March 13, 2012

And my birth sign is.....??

Forgive the ??English??* but this from the ffwd =Fast forward weekly = Calgary's news and entertainment alternative, free newspaper today...
"Like an aquarium fish, you often flit from flake to flake as if you didn't get enough of the food you were lookin' for in the first place.  By goblin' up more goodies than you can digest at once, the benefits of their nutrition start to erode.  It don't matter how good the grub is if you eat so much you explode."
Worryingly accurate...
However, the feel good factor has kicked in as I submitted 3 pieces to the Curiosities exhibition in Medicine Hat.
I rather liked the idea of participating in a show where work sold helps fun art classes for children.  And if my works don't sell (and of course I am not optimistic), then I get them back in time, maybe, for the next Contextural show in May.

Assemblage No.3
Shibori, knitting, hand stitching, disperse dye.

Assemblage No.1
Shibori, knitting, hand stitching, disperse dye.

Worked as a volunteer at Studio C today... Had a great time, should I feel guilt over enjoying myself so much. It was like a morning off work.  The participants were great fun and one guy, Daniel, shamed me into admitting I know very little about disney movies.  Thanks, Megan for sharing the fun of fibre art classes at Studio C and great work Annamaria for putting Contextural in touch with Stuido C. I hope we can raise funds to exhibit the felters' art works real soon*.



11 comments:

Regina said...

I'm simply blown away by your creativity. And if your work does not sell it probably has nothing to do with it's quality - there are markets when I sell a lot, and on a similar occasion nothing......Good luck.

rtquilter said...

Very interesting work ! Nice colour choices and igreat textures.

arlee said...

are these new or have i just not seen them before? i love the little hoodoos---again a feminine take on them i think when so many see them as masculine

i submitted a new piece that has work taking off from it for our new show too

see you at Crit tonight?

Susan J Barker said...

facinating art works! I am a flat thinker and abstract sculpture is outside my ken - the images tho please my eyes and I suspect that is the point of it!

Cheryl (Grandma Coco) said...

There's such attitude in Assemblage No. 3....looks to me like 3 very defiant fellas standing there.

Karin Millson said...

Thanks to all, your comments are so interesting. It is v. rewarding to blog and join the WIP team

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

beautiful Karen! Very beautiful. Glad to know I'm not the only one who lives for her horoscope. (They are always right!) : ) Good luck with the fundraiser.
ps thanks for linking to TN&TN
~Monika K. in Saskatoon

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Oh - ps... want to see how bad I failed at felting? photos on today's post. Don't hurt yourself laughing.
!Monika

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Karin. I find your mix of knitting, dyeing, and stitch to be very interesting, very creative. Gives me something to think about.
best, nadia

Karin Millson said...

Great to know my bits and pieces make you think... that is what I try to do, keep ze little grey cells working.

M-R Charbonneau said...

Very cool sculptures. They draw you right in!